Prior to your arrival
All individuals conducting research in the Weitz Lab must have a valid Harvard ID and an official Research Appointment with Harvard University. Please contact Matthew Zahnzinger regarding the appointment process and related paperwork well ahead of your anticipated date of arrival.
If you are working with cells, you may want to get approval for the cells you wish to study from Harvard Biosafety prior to arrival, as the approval process can take 2 months. Contact safety officers Jesse Collins.
Upon your arrival
Once your research appointment begins (official start date on offer letter) you can go to the Harvard ID office on the 8th floor of the Smith Campus Center, suite 807. There you will get your picture taken and receive your ID card and PIN. Make sure you bring your driver’s license or passport with you to the ID office as well as your Harvard ID number. Their office hours are typically 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
If you are an international visitor you should also plan on checking in with the Harvard International Office, located on the 8th floor of the Smith Campus Center, suite 864.
The administrative team for the Weitz Lab resides in Pierce Hall, room 232 at 29 Oxford St., Cambridge, MA 02138.
Our Academic Affairs officer, Gina Scribner, is also located in Pierce Hall, room 222. Gina will be able to provide instructions on how to set up and access your Harvard email account and will straighten out any appointment-related matters that may need to be addressed.
If there are questions about safety please contact group safety officers or the room monitors.
Desk, bench and drawer space
You may request a desk by contacting Kirk Mutafopulos, who is in charge of desk assignments. Please send your name, status (grad student/post-doc/visitor/etc.), and expected departure date. Also specify if bench space is needed within the Chem-Bio room, or drawer space needed to store personal supplies. There are only a certain number of assigned desks available for the group. Communal desks and storage space will be made available to those not assigned a desk full-time.
Website (Personnel Page)
We ask that you send your appointment title, Harvard email, and a photo of yourself, in the format of JPEG with equal width and height (200px by 200px), to Matthew Zahnzinger (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Stefano Aime (email@example.com), who will include your information on our website.
- Subscribe to the Weitz Lab email list. Using your Harvard email address to send a request to Elad Stolovicki (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Stefano Aime (email@example.com). Note: Only Harvard email account will be approved.
- Subscribe to the Squishy Physics email list. Using your Harvard email address please visit the Signup Page. .
- Subscribe to the New England Complex Fluids Workshops
Finally, read carefully the Weitz Lab survival guide, which will provide insights on the characterand interactions of the group among other things.
After your arrival
- Weitz Lab Wiki page. The Weitz group utilizes a Wiki page to share additional information and resources with current group members. You will need to contact Yongcheng Wang to request an account. While there are a number of topics addressed in greater detail on the Wiki page, it is essential that you look over the following sections shortly after your arrival.
- Chemical Inventory
- Lab Ordering
- Group Job Assignments
- Equipment/Instrument Training
- Access to the Center for Nanoscale Systems (CNS)